No 2019-08 HELD ON 5th December 2019
Present Peter McDonagh- Captain
Brian Newsham – Vice Captain
Geoffrey Harnett – Chairman
Linda Anthony – Secretary
Mike Abbott – Handicap Secretary
Rod Smith
Mary Berry
1. Company Matters
1.1. Paths for the members who walk the course have been created from the 9th to the 10th and from the 14th to the 15th. It was suggested that stakes are placed at the entrance to the path from the 14th to 15th to deter players from attempting to drive buggies along it.
1.2. It is proposed to make the trees and bushes to the left, right and behind the 5th green an out of bounds area that would also extend along the side of the 6th tee. Mike Abbott to speak to Rui about this.
ACTION Mike Abbott
2. Apologies
2.1. Frank Finan, Giles Fox
3. Approval of Minutes
3.1. Minutes approved and signed by the Captain
4. Matters Arising/to discuss
4.1. Juniors update. They continue to thrive under Rui’s excellent and enthusiastic coaching. There are four or five members of the group who will be Federated next year and will then be eligible to play in Junior tournaments.
4.2. Course update. The Duck House for the pond between the 11th and 17th is being sourced from ebay and Peter McDonagh is organising this.
ACTION Peter McDonagh
The sign for the 15th indicating that this is the Captain’s Charity hole is being organised by Mike Abbott.
ACTION Mike Abbott
The bunkers are much better now that the sand is starting to settle. Private buggies must now be insured.
4.3. Competition boards and the FPGC board. Peter McDonagh is sorting out the list of names for the Hole in One board. It was suggested that all the GSA Festival boards could be displayed in the restaurant as there is a lot of empty wall space in there. This would allow more space for a larger FPGC board in the Spike Bar. It was also proposed to make the area where the trophies are displayed into a proper, glassed in Trophy cabinet. Mike Abbott to speak to Rui about these matters.
ACTION Mike Abbott
4.4. Group email contact. This is working very well and will be used to remind members about renewing their membership before the AGM.
4.5. Upcoming Competitions. The carol singing on Decemeber 18th is organised and will begin at 3.00 o’clock. The Captains Changeover music is organised, Peter McDonagh and Brian Newsham will organise the dinner menu with Mario. The prizes are Baptista vouchers and a trophy. The charity monies will be distributed. The Race to Budens and Knockout prizes will be presented and a table plan is needed.
ACTION Peter McDonagh Brian Newsham
4.6. Charity Update. There is good coverage of the Captain’s Charity Walk in the December issue of the Tomorrow magazine. The total raised so far by this event is €14,455.33.
4.7. Water Station. This has proved very successful and will probably be made available for the Friday roll ups.
4.8. GSA intentions. At this time there seems to be no prospect of a sale.
5. Treasurer’s report
5.1. Total current net assets are €15501.55.
6. Handicap Report
6.1. All handicaps are up to date. The annual review will be available after the next Medal.
7. Website
7.1. Everything is up to date.
8. Captain’s Update
8.1. The Advent Competition is a good idea and, should attract more support if it is promoted earlier next year.
9. AOB
9.1. There were no matters raised under this heading.
9.2. Next meeting Friday 3rd January 2020 at 09.00
Meeting closed at 12.15
Distribution: Geoff Harnett, Mike Abbott, Giles Fox, Linda Anthony, Frank Finan, Peter McDonagh, Brian Newsham, Rod Smith, Mary Berry.

About Giles Fox