RACE TO BUDENS, SEPTEMBER 2017

1 John Brodie 0
2 Carol Newland 35
3 Ivor Newland 64
4 Bob Hart 73
5 George Chadwick 88
6 Michael Abbott 88
7 Peter Fisher 129
8 Marian Trott 139
9 Phil Russell 143
10 Bob Woodworth 163
11 Stephen Parkin 177
12 Gillian Andrew 181
13 Andy Stephenson 194
14 Giles Fox 194
15 David Bull 197
16 Lorraine Bull 198
17 Mike Evans 210
18 Kevin Bryan 210
19 Francesco Borges 217
20 Brian Newsham 220

LATEST COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

FLORESTA PARQUE GOLF CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING
No 2017-04 HELD ON 1st September 2017

Present:
Mike Abbott– Captain
Frank Finan – Vice Captain
Dave Haddon – Treasurer
Giles Fox – Secretary
Linda Anthony

1. Company Matters
1.1. The condition of the course is very good and various tees have been or are being refurbished, the ladies tee on the 2nd is to be added to the list.
1.2. The Pepe Gancedo Trophy was a very successful day and will become an annual event.
2. Apologies
2.1. Geoffrey Harnett, Ralph Griffin, Rod Smith.
3. Approval of Minutes
3.1. The minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed by the Captain.
4. Matters Arising
4.1. The Captain v Vice Captain match will be held on the 14th October.
4.2. Frank Finan was pleased to announce that his Vice Captain would be Pete McDonagh (Macca). The committee was pleased to endorse his choice.
5. Treasurers Report
5.1. Cash position, consolidated as per accounts 31st August 2017:
33,391.83 euros
Less accruals: 11,202.04 euros
Net cash available: 22,189.79 euros.
5.2 David Haddon asked that members be reminded that vouchers are only valid for one year from the date of issue as a lot have not been redeemed. A note to this effect will be put on the website.
ACTION Giles Fox
5.3 David Haddon also noted that the increase in membership has greatly helped the Club’s financial position.
6. Handicaps
6.1. All handicaps are up to date.
7. Website
7.1. Giles Fox reported that the website is up to date and that a new photo has been installed and a rule of golf is being featured each month.
8. Events Update
8.1. The Captain”s Away trip is organised and those going will shortly be invoiced by the hotel.
8.2. Captain’s Day is fully subscribed and all arrangements are in hand.
8.3. Christmas Carols will be arranged for the 20th December after the AmAm competition.
ACTION David Haddon, Linda Anthony
9. A.O.B
9.1. CNIG cards are an annual subscription.
9.2. The internet connection in the hut is very patchy and this needs attention. Mike Abbott will contact MEO about this.
ACTION Mike Abbott

Next meeting Friday 1st December 2017 at 09.30.

Meeting closed at 11.05
Distribution: Geoff Harnett, Rod Smith, Mike Abbott, Dave Haddon, Ralph Griffin,
Giles Fox, Linda Anthony, Frank Finan.

RACE TO BUDENS, AUGUST 2017

1 John Brodie 0
2 Carol Newland 55
3 Bob Hart 79
4 Ivor Newland 94
5 Michael Abbott 106
6 George Chadwick 116
7 Peter Fisher 135
8 Phil Russell 163
9 Marian Trott 167
10 Bob Woodworth 169
11 Stephen Parkin 193
12 Andy Stephenson 200
13 Giles Fox 200
14 Gillian Andrew 201
15 Kevin Bryan 217
16 David Bull 218
17 Lorraine Bull 219
18 Francesco Borges 219
19 Ann De Jongh 227
20 Gloria Pooley 232

COMPETITION VOUCHER REDEMPTION

THE COMMITTEE OF FLORESTA PARQUE GOLF CLUB RESPECTFULLY REMIND ALL MEMBERS AND GUESTS THAT ANY COMPETITION OR TWO’S VOUCHER AWARDED MUST BE REDEEMED WITHIN ONE YEAR OF ITS DATE OF ISSUE. FOR EXAMPLE, THE WINNERS IN YESTERDAYS COMPETITION HAVE UNTIL THE 2ND SEPTEMBER 2018 TO SPEND THE VOUCHER. FAILURE TO DO THIS WILL MEAN THE VOUCHER BECOMES VOID WITH NO VALUE. THIS PROCESS ENABLES FPGC TO CONFORM WITH PORTUGUESE ACCOUNTING LAWS AND ENSURES THAT THE CLUB DOESN’T CARRY LONG TERM LIABILITIES ON ITS BALANCE SHEET.

OUR THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND IF YOU ARE HOLDING ANY VOUCHERS CHECK THE DATE IT WAS ISSUED AND IF NECESSARY SPEND IT BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

IMPORTANT NOTICE – CLUB COMPETITION DUE ON SUNDAY 10TH SEPTEMBER WILL NOW BE MOVED TO SATURDAY 9TH SEPTEMBER

Owing to the growing popularity of our golf course it has proved necessary to move the club competition from Sunday 10th September to Saturday 9th September. The course has succeeded  in securing a large booking for the Sunday but will not be able to service the demand for buggies if the club competition was run on the same day. Therefore, the club competition will be moved on this occasion to the Saturday. Our thanks in advance for your cooperation and understanding.

RACE TO BUDENS, JULY 2017

1 John Brodie   0
2 Carol Newland     30
3 Ivor Newland     55
4 Bob Hart     88
5 George Chadwick     88
6 Michael Abbott     125
7 Peter Fisher     129
8 Phil Russell      136
9 Marian Trott     139
10 Bob Woodworth     151
11 Andy Stephenson     161
12 Giles Fox     161
13 Gillian Andrew     162
14 Stephen Parkin     165
15 David Bull     179
16 Lorraine Bull     180
17 Ann De Jongh     188
18 Gloria Pooley     188
19 Derek Hill     194
20 Brian Newsham     199

RACE TO BUDENS, JUNE 2017

1 John Brodie   0
2 Carol Newland     33
3 Ivor Newland     58
4 George Chadwick     78
5 Phil Russell      105
6 Bob Hart     107
7 Michael Abbott     115
8 Marian Trott     129
9 Andy Stephenson     130
10 Gillian Andrew     131
11 Peter Fisher     134
12 Stephen Parkin     147
13 Bob Woodworth     156
14 David Bull     158
15 Lorraine Bull     159
16 Gloria Pooley     162
17 Giles Fox     164
18 Tiago Borges     164
19 Ann De Jongh     171
20 Allan Pooley     172

CAPTAINS BLOG

Dear Members,

 

I hope this message finds you all fit and well, I have had a hectic few months but all in all it has been a great spring.

 

So, standard of play seems to be high at the moment. We have made almost 30 handicap cuts so far this year and its great to see good golf being played, some very happy faces out there. Carol Newland has come down 6 shots this year so a special congrats to you Carol, well deserved. I am sure the quality of the golf course has helped us all. Greens a little slow but running pretty true. We have played several teams from other clubs this spring and most say we have the best greens. Nelson and the boys are doing a great job. Not forgetting Rui and the golf team who look after us so well. Rui has been a great support to the club again this year and I thank him for that. He’s not playing bad golf either and nice to see him playing the club comps from time to time.

 

Frank and I will arrange Captain v Vice Captain this in October, not much happening after the Autumn festival till Christmas so it will be a good time to play, we will post the new date on the web site.

 

Interclub  Team – what a team we have? Very supportive and understanding. Its great that I can talk openly to everyone and get honest answers, that’s what makes a team. In fact that’s what makes our golf club! We are 2nd at the moment with 51 points. Boavista and Alto Club are looking dangerous this season but there are still a few games left and a long way to go but a good effort so far. The wind has let us down a little this year as our 5 games at home have all been played in calm conditions! I have made a couple of bad calls this year but I think one of my biggest regrets lately is to not have played Brendan Murphy yet, especially after his net overall win in the club championship (2 years running). Thank you to everyone who comes out and supports us on match days, great job. Mick & Mary Berry ball spotted on the 6th for us a few weeks back and Mike Evans had cold towels out for us on the 13th in our last game, Brian Newsham is always there. Thanks to all of you.

 

Past captains day was a success, and congratulations to all 3 teams Collingwood, Brennan and Hart.

 

I have to thank all the members who played the club championship, great turn out and I think the field is getting larger every year. Congratulations to all the winners, especially Sarah Webb and Dan Robinson, new members this year and I think they have been a great asset to the golf club, they are our future. I must say they have been handy to have in the Interclub Team as well, when available! I walked up to the bar on the final day to have a quiet coffee before I hit the range and focused and I caught Brian Mathews and Bob Woodworth also warming up, for once no Bob!

 

Members day, great day and I apologise that I didn’t put a poster on the board in time. Super turn out though and I managed to shoot my course record, my dinner and Gin tasted a whole lot better than normal!

 

Captains tour is looking good. Claudia Fernandes will be emailing you shortly with payment information. We still have a few spots so please let me know soonest if you wish to come.

 

So, Ladies v Men on Friday and good luck to both teams. I wish you all the best for the summer, have a great holiday season and don’t forget to use your CNIG cards, I have saved around €150 already. Next big one will be Captains Day, I am getting there! Lots happening and I look forward to seeing you all then.

 

Best wishes and thank you for your continued support as always

 

Michael

CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP – PRIZE PRESENTATION PICTURES

LATEST COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

FLORESTA PARQUE GOLF CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING

No 2017-03 HELD ON 9th June 09.30

 

Present: Geoffrey Harnett, Chairman

Mike Abbott, Captain

Dave Haddon, Treasurer

Rod Smith, Immediate Past Captain

Giles Fox, Secretary

Linda Anthony

 

1.      Company Matters

1.1.     The minutes of the committee meetings will be sent to Rui Gloria who will forward them to Nelson.

1.2.     Brian Newsham requested that the club consider introducing blue tees for competitions. Any friendly game can be played from whichever tee the player choses but as there is no slope index for the men to play from the red/blue tees they have to play all competitions from the white or yellow tees. The whole course would have to be re-sloped to facilitate such a change, which would be very expensive. The marshals will be asked to take consideration of wind conditions when positioning the tees on competition days.

2.      Apologies

2.1.     Ralph Griffin, Frank Finan

3.      Approval of Minutes

3.1.     The minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed by the Captain.

4.      Matters Arising

4.1.     The money to fund the work on the shed has been released to GSA and this should be started soon.

4.2.     The new voucher system is working very well.

4.3.     Mike Abbott is to reply to Bob Woodworth’s letter regarding the distribution of prize fund monies.

  • Mike Abbott

4.4.     Mike Abbott is to reply to Andy Stephenson’s letter regarding handicaps and the stroke indexes on the course.

  • Mike Abbott

5.      Treasurers Report

5.1.     Cash position, consolidated as per accounts 31st May 2017:

31,738.86 euros

Less accruals: 8495.04 euros

Net cash available: 23,243.82 euros

6.      Handicaps

6.1.     All handicaps are up to date.

7.      Website

7.1.     Giles Fox reported that the website is up to date and that he is still looking for a new photo for the title page.

7.2.     A rule of golf will feature each month.

  • Giles Fox

8.      Events Update

8.1.     Captain v Vice Captain Competition. This will be re-arranged in October and the format will be a blind pairs competition.

8.2.     Members Day. A sheet will be placed on the board for the Barbeque, cost for non-members and guests €25.

8.3.     Club Championship. It is a two-day competition and members must compete both days to be eligible for prizes. The €10 entry fee covers the prizes and the buffet.

8.4.     Captain’s Away Trip, nearly 50 people have committed to taking part.

8.5.     Pepe Gancedo Trophy. Pepe Gancedo was the course architect who, sadly, died last year. Rui Gloria and GSA wish to commemorate his life by sponsoring a tournament. This will be held on 16th August and will be a board competition. Rui will issue a flyer nearer the date.

8.6.     Captain’s Day. This is on the 16th September, all arrangements are in hand.

9.      A.O.B

9.1.     Ladies v Men Competition will be on the 7th July not the 4th July as it appeared on the card rota.

 

Next meeting Friday 1st September 2017. 10.00

 

Meeting closed at 11.05

Distribution: Geoff Harnett, Rod Smith, Mike Abbott, Dave Haddon, Ralph Griffin,

Giles Fox, Linda Anthony, Frank Finan.