LATEST COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

FLORESTA PARQUE GOLF CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING

No 2017-03 HELD ON 9th June 09.30

 

Present: Geoffrey Harnett, Chairman

Mike Abbott, Captain

Dave Haddon, Treasurer

Rod Smith, Immediate Past Captain

Giles Fox, Secretary

Linda Anthony

 

1.      Company Matters

1.1.     The minutes of the committee meetings will be sent to Rui Gloria who will forward them to Nelson.

1.2.     Brian Newsham requested that the club consider introducing blue tees for competitions. Any friendly game can be played from whichever tee the player choses but as there is no slope index for the men to play from the red/blue tees they have to play all competitions from the white or yellow tees. The whole course would have to be re-sloped to facilitate such a change, which would be very expensive. The marshals will be asked to take consideration of wind conditions when positioning the tees on competition days.

2.      Apologies

2.1.     Ralph Griffin, Frank Finan

3.      Approval of Minutes

3.1.     The minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed by the Captain.

4.      Matters Arising

4.1.     The money to fund the work on the shed has been released to GSA and this should be started soon.

4.2.     The new voucher system is working very well.

4.3.     Mike Abbott is to reply to Bob Woodworth’s letter regarding the distribution of prize fund monies.

  • Mike Abbott

4.4.     Mike Abbott is to reply to Andy Stephenson’s letter regarding handicaps and the stroke indexes on the course.

  • Mike Abbott

5.      Treasurers Report

5.1.     Cash position, consolidated as per accounts 31st May 2017:

31,738.86 euros

Less accruals: 8495.04 euros

Net cash available: 23,243.82 euros

6.      Handicaps

6.1.     All handicaps are up to date.

7.      Website

7.1.     Giles Fox reported that the website is up to date and that he is still looking for a new photo for the title page.

7.2.     A rule of golf will feature each month.

  • Giles Fox

8.      Events Update

8.1.     Captain v Vice Captain Competition. This will be re-arranged in October and the format will be a blind pairs competition.

8.2.     Members Day. A sheet will be placed on the board for the Barbeque, cost for non-members and guests €25.

8.3.     Club Championship. It is a two-day competition and members must compete both days to be eligible for prizes. The €10 entry fee covers the prizes and the buffet.

8.4.     Captain’s Away Trip, nearly 50 people have committed to taking part.

8.5.     Pepe Gancedo Trophy. Pepe Gancedo was the course architect who, sadly, died last year. Rui Gloria and GSA wish to commemorate his life by sponsoring a tournament. This will be held on 16th August and will be a board competition. Rui will issue a flyer nearer the date.

8.6.     Captain’s Day. This is on the 16th September, all arrangements are in hand.

9.      A.O.B

9.1.     Ladies v Men Competition will be on the 7th July not the 4th July as it appeared on the card rota.

 

Next meeting Friday 1st September 2017. 10.00

 

Meeting closed at 11.05

Distribution: Geoff Harnett, Rod Smith, Mike Abbott, Dave Haddon, Ralph Griffin,

Giles Fox, Linda Anthony, Frank Finan.

RULES OF GOLF – MATCH PLAY TIPS

I regularly receive requests for rulings relating to match play situations after a player has lost a hole, or the match, due to a Rules incident that they were not sure about. Most golfers play far more rounds of stroke play golf than match play golf and do not realise that there are several important differences in the Rules of these formats. Below are my 12 tips that every player should understand and remember before commencing a match.

1. You may practice on the course on the day of a match (Rule 7-1).

2. You must not touch your opponent’s ball in play, unless you are helping to search for it (Rule 18-3).  Do not mark an opponent’s ball on the putting green, unless they ask you to.

3. A concession of a hole may be given at any time and cannot be declined or withdrawn (Rule 2-4). You may putt out after receiving the concession, providing the action is not of assistance to your partner in in a four-ball or best-ball match.

4. Incorrect information (Rule 9-2). If you give your opponent wrong information about your score you must correct it before they make their next stroke, or you lose the hole. Similarly, if they give you wrong information.

5. Order of Play (Rule 10-1). If your opponent plays out of turn you may let their stroke stand, or require that they cancel the stroke and play again in the correct order. In four-ball match play, balls belonging to the same side may be played in the order that the side considers best.

6. After a stroke your ball hits your opponent, or their equipment (Rule 19-3). You may choose to replay the stroke, or accept it and play your next shot from where the ball had come to rest.

7. Putt from the putting green hits a ball at rest on the putting green (Rule 19-5). There is no penalty in match play, the other ball must be replaced and your ball played from where it comes to rest.

8. Four-ball match players representation of side (Rule 30-3a). One partner may play for any part, or all of a match, but if and when their partner arrives they must wait until the start of the next hole to join the match.

9. Four-ball match plays wrong ball (Rule 30-3c). If a player makes a stroke at a wrong ball their partner may continue play of the hole without penalty. If it was the partner’s ball that was played they must place a ball where it was wrongly played from.

10. Asking for and giving advice (Rule 8-1). If a third party gives unsolicited advice no penalty is incurred, but you must request that they do not do so again. You may not give advice to any team member other than your partner.

11. Ignoring an opponent’s breach of Rule (Rule 1-3). In match play, you do not have to call a penalty on your opponent if you witness a breach of Rule by them. But don’t discuss the breach with the opponent before teeing off at the next hole, or you could both be disqualified for agreeing to waive a Rule.

12. If you are unsure of a Rule or procedure try and resolve it with your opponent immediately (Rule 2-5).  But if you cannot agree, a claim has to be made before teeing-off at the next hole. You must notify your opponent that you are making a claim, agree the facts and ask the Committee for a ruling.

This last point is important. I receive several communications where a player was ‘bullied’ into accepting a ruling by their opponent, which was subsequently found to be incorrect – too late to affect the result. Opponents should not to get into an argument on the course, but should agree on the facts of the situation and seek an authoritative ruling from a Committee member, or someone else whose knowledge of the Rules can be trusted. If a timely official ruling is not received, the match should be continued and played to a conclusion whereby there is a definitive result, depending on whether the eventual ruling for the disputed hole was won by either side, or was halved.

Good golfing

RACE TO BUDENS, MAY 2017

1 John Brodie   0
2 George Chadwick     62
3 Carol Newland     68
4 Ivor Newland     93
5 Phil Russell     101
6 Bob Hart     105
7 Marian Trott     113
8 Andy Stephenson     130
9 Gillian Andrew     130
10 Stephen Parkin     131
11 Peter Fisher     134
12 Michael Abbott     142
13 Gloria Pooley     146
14 Giles Fox     148
15 Tiago Borges     153
16 Allan Pooley     156
17 Bob Woodworth     156
18 David Bull     156
19 Lorraine Bull     157
20 Ann De Jongh     169

RACE TO BUDENS, APRIL 2017

1 John Brodie   0
2 Carol Newland   15
3 George Chadwick   33
4 Ivor Newland   40
5 Phil Russell      46
6 Marian Trott   72
7 Gillian Andrew   78
8 Giles Fox   81
9 Bob Hart   83
10 Michael Abbott   87
11 Andy Stephenson   90
12 Peter Fisher   93
13 Tiago Borges   100
14 Gloria Pooley   101
15 Sam Robinson   102
16 Kevin Bryan   108
17 Suzanne McEvoy   110
18 David Bull   110
19 Bob Woodworth   115
20 Lorraine Bull   115

LATEST COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

FLORESTA PARQUE GOLF CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING

No 2017-01 HELD ON 11th April 2017 at 10.00

 

Present: Geoffrey Harnett, Chairman

Mike Abbott, Captain

Frank Finan, Vice Captain

Dave Haddon, Treasurer

Rod Smith, Immediate Past Captain

Giles Fox, Secretary

Linda Anthony

 

1.      Company Matters

1.1.     All works that have been agreed are proceeding and the course is in good condition.

2.      Apologies

2.1.     Ralph Griffin,

3.      Approval of Minutes

3.1.     The minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed by the Captain.

4.      Matters Arising

4.1.     The matter of the tree roots to the side of the 4th green was discussed and all agreed that as they are in the rough there is not a practical solution for their removal. Mike Abbott will write to Marjorie Elliot and explain the committee’s findings.

  • Mike Abbott

 

4.2.     The letter from Trevor Morris regarding the cutting of handicaps after two wins and a second place in team competitions was discussed. The committee agreed that the system was consistent and that members receive shots back as well as being cut. Mike Abbott will respond to the letter.

  • Mike Abbott

 

4.3.     The shed that is used by the Club is rotting badly and needs repairing. The shed belongs to GSA and they will carry out the work. It was agreed to contribute a quarter of the cost and that the work needs doing as soon as possible, also that the electrics need some attention. Mike Abbott to respond to GSA.

  • Mike Abbott

5.      Treasurers Report

5.1.     David Haddon reported that there has been a significant increase in the membership and the fees received when compared to previous years. This is due to the number of new members as well as the increase in fees.

5.2.     David Haddon has produced a new, pre-numbered voucher book as many mistakes with voucher numbers have been made recently. A computerised version will be produced later.

5.3.     Cash position, consolidated as per accounts 30th March 2017:

31,089.18 euros

Less accruals: 7092.54 euros

Net cash available: 23,996.64

 

6.      Handicaps

6.1.     All handicaps are up to date.

7.      Website

7.1.     Giles Fox reported that the website is up to date and that he is still looking for a new photo for the title page.

8.      Events Update

8.1.     Captain v Vice Captain Competition on the 28th April will be a Gruesomes. People entering are requested to put their names down in pairs. The cost will be €5 (subsidised) for members and €15 for visitors. The poster will be displayed this week.

8.2.     The Captain’s Away trip. The details are now finalised for the 8th,9th,10th of November and will shortly be placed on the board and e-mailed to members.

8.3.     The Taca da Liberdade Competition will take place on the 30th April.

9.      A.O.B

9.1.     Eleanor Stock and Elsa Cook have expressed delight at being made honorary members.

9.2.     There will only be visitors’ prizes in singles competitions when 6 or more visitors are competing.

 

Next meeting Friday 9th 2017. 10.00

 

Meeting closed at 11.05

Distribution: Geoff Harnett, Rod Smith, Mike Abbott, Dave Haddon, Ralph Griffin,

Giles Fox, Linda Anthony, Frank Finan.

RACE TO BUDENS, MARCH 2017

1 John Brodie   0
2 Carol Newland     15
3 Ivor Newland     28
4 George Chadwick     33
5 Phil Russell        33
6 Gloria Pooley     63
7 Michael Abbott     63
8 Kevin Bryan     70
9 Bob Hart     71
10 Marian Trott     72
11 Tiago Borges     74
12 Chris Padgett     79
13 Giles Fox     79
14 Stephen Parkin     79
15 Linda Anthony     83
16 Suzanne McEvoy     83
17 Richard Stead     84
18 Paul Anthony     84
19 Allan Pooley     87
20 Ann De Jongh     88

CAPTAINS BLOG, MARCH 2017

Dear Members,

I am nearly three months into my Captaincy and, as time seems to fly, I thought I would give you all an update on what is happening and to thank you for your support so far.

So, I would like to start off by mentioning that we are now linked with the CNIG card system. Together with Santo Antônio we have equally shared the cost as these cards as they benefit both the company and the club. I will have the cards with me on  Wednesdays and Sundays so please feel free to ask and I will hand them over. A small fee of a gin & tonic for the captain will be charged (optional) or a euro for the charity pot (also optional!!) upon exchange, all for a good cause…..!

I am also updating all the honours boards slowly, I am sure you will agree that they look much better. It’s important that the Spike bar looks in good order for us members, our guests and any visitors that we welcome (hoping in future they may become new members).  Don’t worry, David Haddon our treasurer is making sure I don’t get carried away but with the fees going up slightly this year I think its important that we spend it wisely. CNIG cards alone you will save hundreds on green fees at other courses.

Our charity fund is going strong, in under 3 months and we have already raised nearly €600. Thanks to you all for your valued contributions and support. Now the lake has been cleared on the 15th it’s a lot easier to see your ball go in the water! I will be watching. As Captain I get the privilege of a free buggy this year so any visitors riding with me have to put €5 in the pot. The only time I have walked this year was playing with Lewis Haycock. I almost had to give Lewis €5 for the privilege! I played dreadfully that day and Lewis very kindly made sure I knew about it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the company and the walk.

Captains away tour is now booked. Carla and I will be heading up to Quinta da Marinha resort in Cascais in the next couple of weeks to finalise it all. The dates are the 8th, 9th and 10th of November. The cost for 2 golfers will be around €700 but I will update you all shortly with final costings.

Competition wise April, May and June will be big months. Our first league game is in April and I am very much looking forward to it. Unfortunately, we got knocked out of the Interclub Knockout Cup early but the team put up a good fight against a very tough and well balanced side at Quinta do Lago. Frank Finan our Vice-Captain has unfortunately not been out as much as he would have liked but is spending most of April in Portugal, just in time for Captain v Vice-Captain on the 28th where he is going to get a good thrashing……..! We also have Taca da Liberdade to look forward to on the 30th, our first board competition. On the 12th of May we have Past Captains and, of course, the Club Championships in June which I know for a fact that Andy Pickard had already booked his flights for around Christmas time.

Finally, congratulations to all of you who have been playing good golf this year. Carol Newland in particular who has come down over 6 shots. Also Graham Harries has been in the winning circle regularly of late, great to see you back on the course Graham. I am looking forward to seeing a good fight for the Race to Budens come December.

Best wishes to you all and happy golfing, see you on the field.

Michael

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER! CAPTAINS CHANGEOVER PICTURES

2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (198) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (193) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (169) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (164) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (162) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (161) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (160) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (152) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (146) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (139) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (135) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (126) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (123) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (120) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (104) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (101) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (92) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (90) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (86) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (85) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (52) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (18) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (6) 2017-01-21 Captains Changeover (6)

LATEST COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

FLORESTA PARQUE GOLF CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING

No 2017-01 HELD ON 28th February 2017 at 10.00

 

Present:           Mike Abbott– Captain

Geoffrey Harnett- Chairman

Dave Haddon  – Treasurer

Giles Fox – Secretary

Linda Anthony

 

1.      Company Matters

1.1.     Winter rules. As it is extremely difficult to distinguish between first cut and rough on most holes it was decided that, with immediate effect, placing would only be allowed on closely mown areas (fairway height or less). 

1.2.     The trees on the left of the 3rd hole are overhanging and increasingly interfering with play and it will be requested that they be cut back if possible.

ACTION   Mike Abbott

2.      Apologies

2.1.     Rod Smith, Ralph Griffin, Frank Finan.

3.      Approval of Minutes

3.1.     The minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed by the Captain.

4.      Matters Arising

4.1.     A letter has been received from Lewis Haycock regarding Texas Scrambles and the format in which they are played. The committee discussed the matter and decided that the next four ball Texas Scramble that is played will follow the format by which the person whose shot is chosen stands back and the other three players take the shot.

4.2.     The CNIG cards have been organised and Rui Gloria will provide an invoice for the club.

4.3.     All the honours boards will be renovated, this will be done three or four at a time.

4.4.     Frank Finan has written with suggestions about the two pin position situation. He has suggested that markers be placed on the flag to indicate whether the pin was on the front, middle or back of the green. The matter was discussed and it was decided that it would be very difficult to get the green staff or marshals to implement this.

Frank also had a suggestion for internal fund raising for the club to contribute to projects on the course. It was decided that this might be something Frank could do in his Captain’s year and for this year any fundraising would be solely for charity. The Captain will reply to Frank’s letter.

ACTION   Mike Abbott

 

 

5.      Treasurers Report

5.1.     David Haddon reported as supported and recommended by the accountant and committee one single bank account has now been established. This will reduce bank and accountancy charges.

5.2.     The Club is paying the difference in the price of the league shirts. Any surplus shirts will be sold at the end of the year.

5.3.     The membership numbers are now on a level with last years and nearly all subs have been received.

5.4.     Cash position, consolidated as per accounts 28 Feb 2017:

31,021.96 euros

Less accruals: 7270.54

Net cash available: 23,751.42 euros

 

6.      Handicaps

6.1.     A few members have recently have been pleased to see their handicaps reduced.

7.      Website

7.1.     Giles Fox reported that the website is up to date and that he is looking for a new photo for the title page.

8.      Events Update

8.1.     Captain v Vice Captain Competition on the 28th April will be a Gruesomes. People entering are requested to put their names down in pairs. The cost will be €15 for the BBQ and does not include drinks.

8.2.     The Captain’s Away trip. The proposed dates are the 8th, 9th 10th of November with details of the venue to follow shortly.

.

9.      A.O.B

9.1.     It has been suggested that when there is a “2’s” rollover the rollover money could go into the charity fund. The rollover money actually helps to cover any club losses on the days when there is a minimum payout of €10.

9.2.     In discussion with the Captain David Jones requested that the three trees the other side of the ditch on the left on the 9th be moved or removed. It was felt that this was unlikely to happen.

9.3.     Marjorie Elliot has raised the matter that striking the tree roots to the side of the 4th green could cause injury. The committee discussed various solutions and will discuss the matter with the green staff. A decision on the solution will be made at the next meeting.

9.4.     David Walling queried whether a ball going out of bounds on the 10th and landing on the 1st fairway was back in bounds. When playing the 10th any ball coming to rest anywhere to the left of out of bounds markers is out of bounds.

 

Next meeting 11th April 2017. 10.00

 

Meeting closed at 11.30

Distribution: Geoff Harnett, Rod Smith, Mike Abbott, Dave Haddon, Ralph Griffin,

Giles Fox, Linda Anthony, Frank Finan.

RACE TO BUDENS FEBRUARY 2017

1 Carol Newland   0
2 Ivor Newland     15
3 John Brodie     23
4 Phil Russell        43
5 George Chadwick     44
6 Gloria Pooley     48
7 Kevin Bryan     55
8 Marian Trott     56
9 Richard Stead     57
10 Allan Pooley     60
11 Michael Abbott     61
12 Sam Robinson     62
13 Suzanne McEvoy     66
14 George Beattie     67
15 David Walling     69
16 Hilary Blyth     74
17 David Bull     75
18 Lorraine Bull     75
19 Ann De Jongh     76
20 Paul Hughes     77