LATEST COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

FLORESTA PARQUE GOLF CLUB COMMITTEE MEETING

No 2016-04 HELD ON 14TH JUNE 2016 10.00am

 

Present:           Geoff Harnett – Chairman

Rod Smith – Captain

Mike Abbott – Vice Captain

Dave Haddon – Treasurer

Giles Fox – Secretary

David Walling – IPC

Linda Anthony

Rui Gloria – GSA

 

1.     Company Matters

1.1.     Rui Gloria reported that all was going well, the course is in good condition.

1.2.     Rui reported that four new sets of batteries have been purchased and there are currently 19 buggies that can do 36 holes, 10 that can do 18 and 7 that can do nine. Members who have annual buggy contracts are guaranteed a buggy. The old unusable buggies are to be sold for scrap and this money will be used to pay for more batteries.

1.3.     The numbers of visitors are increasing as the offers are working well and Rui anticipates a busy summer.

1.4.     The condition of the course was discussed and various suggestions put forward for improvements. Mike Abbott suggested that he should e-mail Nelson and Rui with these suggestions in Portuguese and Rui agreed that this would be very helpful. Rui also reported that Nelson suggests that the bunker at the side of the 7th green be turned into a grass bunker; all agreed this was a good idea.

ACTION   Mike Abbott

1.5.     Rui was thanked for his attendance and input to the meeting before he left.

2.     Apologies

2.1.     Ralph Griffin sent his apologies.

3.     Approval of Minutes

3.1.     The minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed by the Captain.

4.     Matters Arising

4.1.     All matters arising have been covered in the meeting with Rui.

5.     Treasurers Report

5.1.     David Haddon reported on the current state of the bank account.

Comps & two`s: Cash Balance as at today: 16,979.64

Less accruals (vouchers & fed fees)               5502

Balance available                                        11477.64

 

FPGC:                   Cash Balance                   9960.02

Less accruals:                                                  677.18

Balance available                                            9282.84

 

Total balance available                                  20,760.48

6.     Plan for the next year’s budget

6.1.     Rod Smith proposed that the committee decide what the increase in membership fees will be well in advance of the AGM.

6.2.     David Haddon and Rod Smith will do a detailed review and analysis of expenditure to date and future proposed expenditure and will put the proposed increase to the next committee meeting.

ACTION   Rod Smith David Haddon

7.     Rule change trial – Decision.

7.1.     The committee decided unanimously to scrap the rule change experiment where the men were able to chose whether to play from the yellow or white tees in non-qualifying competitions. In future there will be 33% white tee competitions. As before ladies can chose between red or yellow tees in non-qualifying competitions.

8.     Handicaps

8.1.     There have been two adjustments in handicaps. M Elliot and F Finan have had their handicaps adjusted using their English handicaps, as exceptional circumstances have not allowed them to complete cards here.

8.2.     The Holcroft’s are still waiting to be added to the system but will be entered shortly.

9.     Website

9.1.     Giles Fox is about to enter the Club Championship results and will thank Rui Baptista for his sponsorship of the prizes.

10.  Social Events Planning

10.1.  David Spragg and Lorraine Bull are happy to organise a quiz night sometime in the Autumn.

10.2.  An “age related stableford” was suggested; half your age is added to your score, a possibility before a social event.

10.3.  Kate Evans has put forward the suggestion of an evening Fairway picnic in the summer months, bring your own food and buy drink from the spike bar. The committee agreed this could be a good idea and maybe it could be held on the putting green by the hut.

10.4.  David Haddon and Geoffrey Harnett reported that several members would like to reintroduce carol singing and mince pies close to Christmas. Lynettte Whitaker is particularly keen to do this and has offered to help. It was agreed this would be a good idea and to combine it with the competition on the 14th December which will be a shotgun start.

ACTION   Geoffrey Harnett David Haddon

11.  Events Update

11.1.  Organisation for Captain’s Day is all in hand, Rebecca Smith is trying to organise Adam and Wendy as the music.

11.2.  Captain’s Away Trip. 48 people definitely attending.

12.  AOB

12.1.  The Tri Competition between GSA, Palmares and Boavista is to be held on 11th November and will be a mixed pairs better ball.

12.2.  There will be two charity competitions in the next quarter on 31st July and 21st September.

12.3.  Following a query by a member there was a discussion over the rules for qualification for prizes in the two day Club Championship competition. It was agreed that, whilst there is a history of doing things a certain way, there are no such written rules available. Therefore it is at the discretion of the committee to set prize qualification rules as they believe to be fair and appropriate. Where there is a limitation on prize qualification, this should be clearly communicated before the competition commences.

12.4.  It was also noted that visitors are not eligible to enter the Club Championship but are always welcome to play in the Sunday competition from the yellow tees.

12.5.  The date for the next meeting is 15.08.2016 at 14.00.

Meeting closed at 11.50

Distribution: Geoff Harnett, Rod Smith, Mike Abbott, David Walling, Dave Haddon, Ralph Griffin,

Giles Fox and Linda Anthony.